For this interuniversity Master’s programme, you will enrol at the University of Antwerp (coordinating university). General information about the admission requirements for international students at the University of Antwerp can be found here. Below are the specific requirements for admission to the Master of Bioscience Engineering: Sustainable Urban Bioscience Engineering.
Students with a bachelor degree in bioscience engineering (bachelor in de bio-ingenieurswetenschappen) are admitted without further requirements.
The Master of Bioscience Engineering: Sustainable Urban Bioscience Engineering is open to applicants
- holding an academic Bachelor’s degree in engineering (bioscience engineering, bioengineering, agricultural engineering, environmental engineering, biotechnology engineering, or any equivalent engineering degree); or other Bachelor’s or Master’s degrees encompassing thorough coursework in mathematics, statistics, physics, chemistry, and basic engineering courses; and
- with in-depth knowledge of at least one of the following two domains (i) earth and environmental sciences, and/or (ii) biology and ecology.
This degree should be obtained at a recognized university, college or institute, with an end result of at least second class upper or equivalent.
Students who are still completing their Bachelor’s degree are also encouraged to apply. Applicants that are enrolled in their final year should, instead of the degree, submit a copy of an original and signed letter from their college or university confirming that they are expected to complete the programme at the end of the current academic year.
If you do not meet the diploma requirements, but you are interested in this Master’s programme, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss possible preparatory tracks (Dutch only).
Since the programme is taught in English, candidates with a prior degree issued outside Belgium, the Netherlands or Luxembourg are required to demonstrate their proficiency in English. They can do so in two ways:
- Either by submitting a language certificate showing their TOEFL, IELTS or ITACE results (obtained within the last two years):
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language; at a test centre): a minimum score of 80. You can find more information about TOEFL at http://www.toefl.org
- IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System): a minimum score of at least 6.5, and on each part minimum 6.0. You can find more information about IELTS at ielts.org;
- ITACE (Interuniversity Test of Academic English for Students): minimum level B2. You can find more information about ITACE at http://www.itace.be/students/about.html
For TOEFL and IELTS, the candidate needs to nominate the University of Antwerp as a valid recipient of the test scores.
- or by submitting proof they have studied at least one academic year (or 60 ECTS credits) in an English-language Bachelor or Master programme. Please note that the board of admission may still ask for additional proof of proficiency in English, demonstrated by a language certificate.
Please note that the Board of Admission may still ask for additional proof of proficiency in English.